As I get ready for #2 to make his arrival, I’m also thinking back to some of my favorite treats from when Cody was first born. As a new mom concerned about maintaining my breastmilk supply, I became a little obsessed with galactogogues and creative ways for combining them for easy consumption. Smoothies were an obvious choice given that at times with an infant, it can be quite difficult to get a solid, seated meal in one’s system.
You’ll see a lot of repeat ingredients in this smoothie from my mommy mix. Since I’ve revived this recipe within the last few weeks an added bonus is that my daughter loves it, too! No surprise there really – “nanas” (bananas) are her absolute favorite food, with yogurt and nut butter pretty high up there as well.
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dry old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup yogurt of your choice (I used vanilla coconut yogurt while Cody was showing signs of dairy sensitivity)
- 1 tbsp nut butter of your choice (I used almond butter)
- 1/4 cup milk of your choice (I like to use almond or cashew milk when I have it)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flax seeds
Dump all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and well combined. I like to add the ingredients in the order listed so that my flax seeds and chia seeds don’t get sucked into the well around my blender blade. Enjoy!